Kathrin F. Stanger-Hall
Adjunct Faculty Math & Science Ed. and Entomology
- Office: Biological Sciences , Rm 503 Athens, GA 30602USA
- Voice: 706-542-1689
- Fax: 706-542-1695
- Lab Website →
Ph.D. Animal Physiology, Eberhardt Karls Universitat Tubingen 1993
My main research interests focus on how to promote active learning and critical thinking in large introductory biology classes, and on the evolution of light signals in North American fireflies.
- University System of Georgia, Board of Regents STEM Grant (2010-2011). PI. Do self-reported religious conflict and attitude affect student learning of evolution?
- UGA Faculty Research Grant (2011- 2012). PI. Firefly research.
- NSF FIRE (2011-2012). Senior personnel. Designing Transformative Assessments for Interdisciplinary Learning in Science.
- NSF TUES (2011-2013). PI. Animated Case Studies In Science (ACSIS): Transforming Student Learning of Biology.
- HHMI (2012-2015). Regional coordinator. Dissemination of Scientific Teaching through Summer Institutes: UGA Southeastern Regional Summer Institute.
- UGA Faculty Research Grant (2009-2010). PI. Testing learning supports for critical thinking in large lecture classes.
- University System of Georgia, Board of Regents STEM Grant (2008-2009). PI. Overcoming student resistance to critical thinking: testing the effect of exam format.
- Sandy Beaver Excellence in Teaching Award. Franklin College, University of Georgia, 2010.
- National Academies Education Fellow in the Life Sciences, 2008-2009.
- Shining S.T.A.R.S. (Students Taking Active Roles in Society) award for exemplary and inspirational teaching. University of Texas at Austin, 2004.
- SSD Appreciation Award (Dean of Students, Services for Students with Disabilities). University of Texas at Austin, 2003.
- National Academies Education Mentor in the Life Sciences, 2011-2012.
- Stanger-Hall, K.F. (2012). Multiple-Choice Exams: An Obstacle for Higher-Level Thinking in Introductory Science Classes. CBE Life Sci Educ 11: 294-306, September 1, 2012 (10.1187/cbe.11-11-0100).
- Stanger-Hall, K.F., Hall, D.W. (2011). Abstinence-only education and teen pregnancy rates: Why we need comprehensive sex education in the U.S. PLoS ONE 6(10): e24658.
- Stanger-Hall, K.F., Shockley, F.W., Wilson, R. (2011). Teaching students how to study: a workshop on information processing and self-testing helps students learn. CBE Life Science Education 10:187-198.
- South, A., Stanger-Hall, K. Jeng, M.L., Lewis, S.M. (2011). Correlated evolution of female neoteny and flightlessness with male nuptial gift donation in fireflies (Coleoptera: Lampyridae). Evolution 65(4): 1099-1113.
- Stanger-Hall, K.F.,Lang, S., Maas, M. (2010). Facilitating Learning in Large Lecture Classes: Testing the "Teaching Teams" Approach to Peer Learning. CBE Life Science Education 9: 489-503.
- Lemmon, A., Brown, J., Stanger-Hall, K.F., Lemmon, E. (2009). The effects of missing data in Likelihood-Based Phylogenetics. Systematic Biology 58(1): 130-145.
- Hedtke, S.M., Stanger-Hall, K.F., Baker, R.J., Hillis, D.M. (2008). All-male sexuality: origin and maintenance of androgenesis in the Asian clam Corbicula. Evolution 62 (5): 119-1136.
- Stanger-Hall, K.F., Merriam, J., Greuling, R-A. (2007). The Case of the Ivory-Billed Woodpecker. The scientific process and how it relates to every-day life. Journal of College Science Teaching, Vol. 37 (1): 12-16.
- Stanger-Hall K.F., Lloyd J.E., Hillis, D.M., (2007). Phylogeny of North American fireflies (Coleoptera: Lampyridae) with implications for the evolution of light signals. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 45: 33-49.
- Stanger-Hall, K.F. (2005). Accommodation or Prediction? Science 308: 1409.
- Stanger-Hall, K.F., D. A. Zelmer, C. Bergren, and S.A. Burns (2001). Taste discrimination in a Lizard (Anolis carolinensis, Polychrotidae). Copeia 2: 490-498.
- Stanger-Hall, K.F., and C.W. Cunningham (1998). Support for a monophyletic Lemuriformes: over-coming incongruence between data partitions. Molecular Biology and Evolution 15(11): 1572-1577.
- Stanger-Hall, K.F. (1997). Phylogenetic affinities among the extant Malagasy Lemurs based on morphology and behavior. Journal of Mammalian Evolution, 4: 163-194.
- Stanger, K.F., B. Coffman, and K. Izard (1995). Reproduction in Coquerel's Dwarf lemur (Mirza coquereli) in captivity. American Journal of Primatology, 36: 223-237.
- Macedonia, J. M. and K.F. Stanger (1994). Phylogeny of the Lemuridae Revisited: Evidence from the Structure of their Communication Signals (A Preliminary Study). Folia Primatologica, 63: 1-43.
- Stanger, K.F. and J.M. Macedonia. (1994). The vocalizations of the Aye-Aye (Daubentonia madagascariensis) in captivity. Folia Primatologica, 62: 160-169.