Ph.D Plant Genetics, Cornell University 1988
My lab studies intrinsic genetic properties that make plants different from other organisms and from one another. In particular, selected plants have become crops because of unique attributes that also make them valuable as botanical models. Crop genetics thus offers the opportunity to increase basic scientific knowledge and apply it to contemporary needs. Our priorities are to explore basic principles of genetics and evolution in the genomes of angiosperms, and to accelerate assembly of the genomic frameworks that will permit such principles to be applied to the study and improvement of major crops.
- Dr Paterson has secured $28.2 million, including $18.5 million as Principal Investigator (40% of which supported his colleagues), and $9.7 million as coinvestigator
on awards totaling $38.1 million to his colleagues. He has secured two competitive training grants of $108,000 (PI) and $1.6 million (co-PI), one regional economic development grant ($600,000), and has helped 37 scholars to secure $1.24 million to study in his lab. He is the PI on a non-cash award (est. $8 million) from the US Dept of Energy Joint Genome Institute Community Sequencing Program‟ to sequence the 736 Mb sorghum genome, and two non-cash
awards (est. $2 million) to initiate (1.5 Gb) sequencing of Gossypium raimondii.
- CGIAR-Generation Challenge Program. Discovery and development of alleles contributing to sorghum drought tolerance. 10/08-9/11.
- National Science Foundation. The evolution of gene position and function inArabidopsis. 10/08-9/12.
- National Science Foundation PGRP. Comparative and evolutionary genomics of cotton. 1/09-12/13.
- National Science Foundation-PFI. Scaling a new adaptive peak for cotton. 9/09-8/12.
- National Science Foundation-DBI. Plant Genome Duplication Database. 9/09-8/12.
- DOE-USDA. Accelerating the domestication of Miscanthus. 9/09-8/12.
- Int‟l Cotton Genome Initiative Award for Outstanding Contributions to Cotton Genomics 2010
- Lamar Dodd Research Award, UGA. 2009.
- Fellow, AAAS. 2008.
- Co-chair & Chair, Structural genomics workgroup, Intl Cotton Genome Initiative. 2007-10.
- James Irvine Memorial Scholarship Fund, Oversight committee. 2007-date.
- Guggenheim Foundation Fellow, Plant Sciences. 2007-8.
- Cotton Genetics Research Award, National Cotton Council. 2008.
- Comparative analysis of peanut NBS-LRR gene clusters suggests evolutionary innovation among duplicated domains and erosion of gene microsynteny. 2011. New Phytologist 192: 164-178
- Micro-collinearity and genome evolution in the vicinity of an ethylene receptor gene of cultivated diploid and allotetraploid coffee species (Coffea). 2011. The Plant Journal 67, 305-317
- Paleo-Green Revolution for rice 2011 PNAS Early Edition
- Comparative analysis of Gossypium and Vitis genomes indicates genome duplication specific to the Gossypium lineage. 2011. Genomics, 97, 313-320.
- Genetic diversity analysis of maintainer and restorer accessions in upland cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.). 2011. J. Plant Biochem. Biotechnol., 20(1): 20-28
- Metabolite and mineral analyses of cotton near-isogenic lines introgressed with QTLs for productivity and drought-related traits. 2011. Physiologia Plantarum, 141: 265-275.
- Microcollinearity between autopolyploid sugarcane and diploid sorghum genomes. 2010. BMC Genomics, 11:,261
- Gene copy number evolution during tetraploid cotton radiation. 2010. Heredity, 1-10
- Haibao Tang, John E. Bowers, Xiyin Wang, Andrew H. Paterson. 2010. Early polyploidy events in the monocotyledon lineage revealed by angiosperm genome comparisons. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA, 107: 472-477.
- American Association for the Advancement of Science,
- American Society of Plant Biologists,
- Botanical Society of America,
- Genetics Society of America,
- Crop Science Society of America,
- Sorghum Improvement Conference of North America,
- Professional Association for Cactus Development,
- ASHG/GSA K-12 Genetics Mentor Network,
- Sorghum Genomics Executive Committee, Chair
- US Peanut Genome Initiative & Int'l Cotton Genome Initiative, Steering Committe Member
- Comparative Genomics Workgroup, Chair