Ph.D. Animal Physiology, Eberhardt Karls Universitat Tubingen 1993
My main research interests focus on how to promote active learning and critical thinking in large introductory biology classes, and on the evolution of light signals in North American fireflies.
- University System of Georgia, Board of Regents STEM Grant (2010-2011). PI. Do self-reported religious conflict and attitude affect student learning of evolution?
- UGA Faculty Research Grant (2011- 2012). PI. Firefly research.
- NSF FIRE (2011-2012). Senior personnel. Designing Transformative Assessments for Interdisciplinary Learning in Science.
- NSF TUES (2011-2013). PI. Animated Case Studies In Science (ACSIS): Transforming Student Learning of Biology.
- HHMI (2012-2015). Regional coordinator. Dissemination of Scientific Teaching through Summer Institutes: UGA Southeastern Regional Summer Institute.
- UGA Faculty Research Grant (2009-2010). PI. Testing learning supports for critical thinking in large lecture classes.
- University System of Georgia, Board of Regents STEM Grant (2008-2009). PI. Overcoming student resistance to critical thinking: testing the effect of exam format.
- Sandy Beaver Excellence in Teaching Award. Franklin College, University of Georgia, 2010.
- National Academies Education Fellow in the Life Sciences, 2008-2009.
- Shining S.T.A.R.S. (Students Taking Active Roles in Society) award for exemplary and inspirational teaching. University of Texas at Austin, 2004.
- SSD Appreciation Award (Dean of Students, Services for Students with Disabilities). University of Texas at Austin, 2003.
- National Academies Education Mentor in the Life Sciences, 2011-2012.