Ph.D Plant Systematics, University of Florida 1991
As a modern systematist (morphology, anatomy, field work), I incorporate molecular data with revisionary work on the relationships of certain temperate lily-like plants, the Melanthiaceae, with particular focus on the taxa of tribe Melanthieae.
I also conduct floristic surveys in Georgia and neighboring states. Floristic inventories are an important function of the GA Herbarium. These are field-based studies comprising a plant survey of a natural area, resulting in a complete inventory including voucher specimens.
- Georgia Department of Natural Resources, Coastal Resources Division, “Plant Survey of the Lower Ogeechee River Corridor, a treasure of diverse coastal habitats in Bryan, Chatham, and Effingham Counties, Georgia,” W.B. Zomlefer [PI], 2011-2013, $ 30,705.
- National Science Foundation, ―Collaborative research: The GA-VSC Herbaria collaborative: phase I of a statewide consortium. W.B. Zomlefer [PI] & D. E. Giannasi [coPI] at UGA, R. Carter [PI] at VSU; 2011-2013; [$ 395,315 Total]; UGA: $ 198,255.
- National Park Service, ―Supplemental funding for costs of published reports. W.B. Zomlefer [PI], 2010-2012.
- Georgia Department of Natural Resources, ―Vascular flora and vegetation analysis of the South Atlantic Coastal Plain Limestone Forest.W. B. Zomlefer [PI] & P. Lynch [coPI], 2010-2011.
- UGA Faculty Research Grant, ―Imaging GA Herbarium collections: A pilot study. W.B. Zomlefer [PI], 2010-2011.
- National Science Foundation, Assembling the Tree of Life [AToL], “Collaborative Research – From Acorus to Zingiber: Assembling the phylogeny of the monocots,” 2008-2013.
- National Park Service, “Plant specimen curation and publication of baseline inventories for Ocmulgee National Monument and Congaree National Park,” 2009-2012
- Georgia Botanical Society, “Vascular plant flora and vegetation analysis of Georgia south Atlantic coastal plain limestone forests,” 2009-2010.
- Georgia Native Plant Society, “Vascular plant flora and vegetation analysis of Georgia south Atlantic coastal plain limestone forest,” 2009-2010.
- Georgia Botanical Society, “The state of herbaria in Georgia,” 2008-2010.
- Georgia Native Plant Society, “Georgia’s herbaria,” 2008-2010.
- National Park Service, “Floristic quality index and plant attribute database development for SECN parks,” 2008-2009.
- GAIA Award of Excellence in Botanical Illustration and Research (Florida Society of Botanical Artists, 2009).
- Author and illustrator of the reference Guide to Flowering Plant Families (1994).
Zomlefer, W.B.*, D.E. Giannasi, A. Reynolds, & K. Heiman. 2012. Vascular plant flora of Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area, a conservation corridor from the Buford Dam to Atlanta, Georgia. Rhodora 114(957): 50-102.
Zomlefer, W.B. 2012. Validation of the name Veratrum hybridum (Liliales, Melanthiaceae): the correct name for crisped bunch-flower. Novon 22(1): 125-127.
Zomlefer, W.B.*, D.E. Giannasi, J.B. Nelson, & L.L. Gaddy. 2013. A baseline vascular plant survey for Ocmulgee National Monument, Bibb County, Macon, Georgia. Journal of the Botanical Research Institute of Texas 7(1): 453-473.
Zomlefer, W.B.*, L. Chafin, J.R. Carter, & D.E. Giannasi. 2013. Coefficient of conservatism rankings for the flora of Georgia: Wetland indicator species. Southeastern Naturalist 12(4): 790-808.
Pellicer, J.*, L.J. Kelly, I.J. Leitch, W.B. Zomlefer, & M.F. Fay. 2013. A universe of dwarfs and giants: Genome size and chromosome evolution in the monocot family Melanthiaceae. New Phytologist: 14 pp. [doi: 10.1111/nph.12617].
Barrett, C.F.*, C.D. Specht, J. Leebens-Mack, Dennis W. Stevenson, Wendy B. Zomlefer & J.I. Davis. 2013. Resolving ancient radiations: Can complete plastid gene sets elucidate deep relationships among the tropical gingers (Zingiberales)? Annals of Botany (2013): 15 pp. [doi: 10.1093/aob/mct264].
Zomlefer, W.B.*, M. McKain, & J. Rentsch. 2014. Documentation of the chromosome number for Zigadenus glaberrimus (Liliales: Melanthiaceae) and its significance in the taxonomy of tribe Melanthieae. Systematic Botany 39(2): 411-414. [doi: 10.1600/036364414X680951].
Sewell, S.Y.S.† & W.B. Zomlefer*. 2014. Floristics of piedmont gabbro upland depression forests in Jasper County, Georgia. Castanea 79(3): 195-220.
Lynch, P.S.* † & W.B. Zomlefer. 2014. An introduction to the south Atlantic coastal plain limestone forest communities. Tipularia 29: 38-46.
- American Society of Botanical Artists,
- American Society of Plant Taxonomists,
- Botanical Society of America,
- Georgia Botanical Society,
- Georgia Native Plant Society,
- Georgia Plant Conservation Alliance,
- Natural Science Collections Alliance,
- International Association for Plant Taxonomy,
- Society of Herbarium Curators,
- Society for the Preservation of Natural History Collections,
- Southern Appalachian Botanical Society,